Have you ever wondered where the term ‘Burger People’ came from? It all started in 1981 when Mr. Burger, the first fast-food chain in Pakistan, opened in Karachi. It turned out people weren’t fond of burgers as they had no idea how to eat them. As we live in the era where our lives depend on fast food, this is quite hard to imagine.
Anyway. If you are looking for signs to spot a burger around you, the following points will help you out!
1. They love McDonald’s and Hardee’s and look down upon bun kababs.
2. They prefer to wear westernized ‘branded’ clothes instead of kurta or shalwar kameez.
3. They speak English in the ‘perfect’ accent. It’s called Burrgaran. What, you can’t?
4. Pakistani cuisines are too spicy, garlicky and oily for them.
5. They can’t bear to watch Pakistani TV shows with their rona dhona and shaadi ke maslay. They prefer to binge watch on western TV shows instead.
6. They are big fans of football but they can’t stand cricket.
7. They obviously own a DSLR and a selfie stick.
8. They have traveled the world but they don’t know the way around their own city.
9. They only buy branded things and often take exclusive shopping trips to ‘London and Dubai’.
10. They drink coffee instead of tea, even if it’s 50 degrees!
11. They can’t live a day without using Twitter and Instagram.
12. They have beach parties at the French Beach but they never go to Sea View because that’s for local awaam.
13. They have never travelled in rickshaws or taxis. They own BMWs.
Did these points help you spot the burger in your friend’s group? Perhaps you are one yourself!