A very famous proverb that says ‘A family that plays together, stays together’ is never out of content when you talk about Pakistan.
Since childhood, we are taught one thing more than any other – family comes first! The beautiful environment that we grow up in, teaches us about values, ethics and how to be there for each other. That’s what makes Pakistani families great and outstanding among the rest.
Every family in Pakistan has their own funda of enjoyment and tafreeh. Shughal has compiled a list of all the beautiful activities a Pakistani family does together!
1. A Pakistani family will always have breakfast together!
It’s a ritual, no wonder when you slept – the family will always eat together. If you don’t wake up.. be ready for amma or abba’s chittar, ouch.
2. If you need money, the rule is to ask your father for it first!
And usually, he abruptly says no and you have to run to mum so can she spare whatever she has saved..
3. The absolutely boring chess match with your father/grandfather..
There’s always at least one oldie in the family who has a thing for chess and well usually, the youngest ones are forced to play against them..
4. When your mum sends you to the market and someone else always adds on to it..
Mum: Beta do kilo dahi le aana..
Brother: Aur mere liye Pakola ka can..
Sister: Mere liye Cornetto chocolate..
Bhabi: Chotu ke liye pamper nahi bhoolna..
(And you always forget one or the other)
5. The afternoon chaye – where the whole family comes together for a slender Hi-Tea.
Usually includes chaye, biscuits, pakoray, samosay and abba ki daant..
6. Pakistanis and cricket go hand in hand, the boys always find a way to play inside the house.
Some prefer it in the lawn, some on the street outside the house and others well, they just start playing in the dining hall..
7. No day is complete without LUDO… the official indoor sports of Pakistan.
And the brawls that start with ludo.. the teaming, the cheating and the cornering one poor soul who always loses..
8. Another very popular Pakistani family indoor game.. Dumb-Charades!
Oh boy the joy of guessing the correct movie.. the whole family sitting together and you acting in the most awkward manner. Yup, Pakistani families.
9. The post dinner ice cream runs: “Haan batao kisne konsi khaani hai?”
And the eldest brother or cousin always proposes an ice cream treat.. and nobody, nobody, refuses free ice cream.
10. The sneaking out for a late night movie at the closest cinema..
Cousins usually make a plan together and sneak out whilst the elders sleep. Go watch a movie. If nobody wakes up, yay! If somebody wakes up, “maine toh pehle hi bola tha nahi nikaltay hain!”
Can you relate to these absolutely joyful scenarios growing up in a Pakistani family? 🙂