Having a natural harbor, Karachi has always been an important city for trade. Its rich history not only dates back to pre-partition era and the British rule but it was as important in the Greek civilization as it is today. It is where Alexander the Great camped to prepare a fleet for Babylonia after his campaign in the Indus Valley.
And after partition, Karachi saw its golden days. Being the center of trade in Pakistan and with most of the revenue coming from this city, it was and still is the biggest city in Pakistan. Here are some classic images that show how Karachi has been modernized through time.
1. Federal Government Offices, 1947
Now: Those were the simple old days!
2. A road in Karachi submerged in rain water before partition
Now: Some things always remain the same.
3. Elphinstone Street, 1940
Now: called Zaib-un-Nisa Street
4. A rare photo of Karachi Harbor, 1860
Now: It is as beautiful as it was back then.
5. A girl’s school, 1873
Now: We have come a long way!
6. Empress Market in 1890
Now: The busiest area of the city.
7. A rare photo of Victoria Road, 1900
Now: where Zainab Market stands.
8. A traffic policeman controlling traffic in downtown Karachi, Late 19th century
Now: Things were simpler but more efficient back then.
9. Bunder Road, 1900
Now: Called MA Jinnah Road, the place is the busiest area of the city.
10. Mazar of Abdullah Shah Ghazi at Clifton, 1900
Now: A grand mausoleum stands there!
11. Habib Bank Plaza under construction, 1963
12. Napier Mole Bridge to Keamari, 1900
Now: Stands the majestic entertainment complex, Port Grand!
13. Mazar-e-Quaid Under construction
Now: It’s a beauty – the life of Karachi!
14. Old photo of Saddar Bazaar
Now: Bustling with traffic
15. Clifton Underpass area, 1875
Now: A beautiful underpass is built
16. Tram pulled by horses
Now: Public buses painted with beautiful truck art
17. Karachi Tramway, 1950
Now: No longer functioning!
18. Preedy Street, Saddar, 1890
Now: It’s where the first ever Parking Plaza in Pakistan is built.
19. The interior of cinema in Karachi, 1918
Now: Thankfully, they are grand and the screens are big!
Karachi has certainly come a long way! Though it has become more populated, more polluted and even busier over the years, it’s still a beautiful city that gets prettier by the day.