When it comes to the tallest mountains of the world, you know the answer: Mount Everest. But when it comes to the difficulty level of their climb, it’s not Everest but the MIGHTY K2, the pride of Pakistan.
Here are some reasons why K2 is a more dangerous climb than Everest and is basically unconquerable except by the exceptionally brave souls.
1. The climbing route on K2 is a far more technical ascent than the route on Everest.
2. The sections Bottleneck and the Black Pyramid are known to man as the most notorious sections of rock and ice.
3. Do you remember how we used to draw a mountain as a kid? The A shape? That is exactly what K2 is.
4. The weather at K2 is notoriously unpredictable.
5. Avalanches and storms are frequent, and that means climbing is almost impossible.
6. Mount Everest has become a commercial peak with 4000 plus Mountaineers being successful at climbing it while only 284 people have conquered K2 yet.
7. The fatality rate on K2 is nearly 30% making it the deadliest mountain after Nanga Parbat.
8. There are only two mountains in the world which have not been summited in the winter: One is Nanga Parbat, the other is K2. Both in Pakistan! Unconquerable!
9. Even reaching the K2 base camp is a huge challenge in itself. Forget about everything else.
Someone has indeed said it correctly, “If climbers who reach Mount Everest summit touch the sky, those who reach K2 summit touch the sky and win it.”