Pakistanis keep a strong belief in arranged marriages – the idea is to find a suitable man for your daughter, who comes from a good family and can keep her happy.
Once the families decide they should meet up for a baat-pakki rasam – the groom-to-be’s family heads over to the girl’s house usually for a conversation over a cup of tea. This is followed by the girl serving the guy’s family with tea and delights. This is where the groom checks her out (awkward, no?).
As soon as the tea is served, the guy and girl are then asked to sit elsewhere – where they can have a conversation with each other and decide on their similarities and thoughts.
Shughal has created a list of the most successful baat-pakki moments when Pakistani couples meet for the first time – before their arranged marriage!
1. When he finds out she can cook..
2. When she says she completed her Masters – It’s on!
3. When the guy finds out she has no relationship history – #DabbaPack
4. Some families have a thing for dowry – I mean, who doesn’t like a mufta?
5. When the guy finds out they have similar taste in music..
6. When the girl is sane enough to not want to give birth to a whole cricket team..
7. Some guys like women who work, others like women who don’t work – a perfect mix? Yes karao.
8. If she says she can’t drive.. well, you’re in for a long-term damage payment agreement.
These hilarious, successful moments actually happen in every household that goes for arranged marriages – can you or your friends relate?