Have you ever wondered how the magnificent Karakoram Highway came into being?
Check out the following rare pictures of KKH during its construction.
1. The Karakoram Highway, or the Friendship Highway, was built by the governments of Pakistan and China.
2. Its construction began in 1959 and was completed in 1979. It opened to the public in the year of 1986.
3. Due to its treacherous location, around 810 Pakistanis and about 200 Chinese workers lost their lives in landslides and falls.
4. Inauguration of KKH in 80s.
5. KKH along the Indus River.
6. Being the highest paved international road in the world, it’s often referred to as the Eighth Wonder of the World.
7. The route of the KKH follows the many paths of the ancient Silk Road.
8. The highway is best traveled either in the spring or early autumn.
How was the glimpse into the history?