In Quran and various ahadith, different kinds of creatures have been mentioned. From Jinns that were controlled by Prophet Solomon to the beast that will show up before the doomsday, some of these creatures existed in the past and some of them have yet to come.
Here are some of the most interesting Islamic legendary creatures!
1. The arrival of the Beast of the Earth (Dabbat al Ardh) is one of the ‘major’ signs of the doomsday. It will possess the Staff of Moses and the Seal of Solomon. According to Quran, it will mark the foreheads of the believers and disbelievers.
2. Created from smokeless but scorching fire, Jinn are frequently mentioned in Quran. Besides humans and angels, they are the only sapient beings. They are said to exist in an ‘unseen’ world beyond our known universe.
3. When the people of Thamud demanded Prohpet Saleh a ‘miracle’ as a proof of Islam, Allah sent the She-Camel of God. A mountain split into two, and a pregnant camel came out. It drank all the water in the wells in a day and produced milk enough for the whole village.
4. Al-Masih ad-Dajjal, ‘the false messiah’, will come days before Yawm al-Qiyamah. According to a hadith, ‘he will blind in the right eye and his eye looks like a bulging out grape’.
5. Buraq is a magical creature from the heavens who used to carry prophets on their travels. It is white in color, has two majestic wings and flies faster than the speed of light.
6. According to a legend, Al-Rakim is a dog that protected the companions of the cave, the seven sleepers who slept for years.
7. Ababil are one of the few animals that have been mentioned in Quran. They were terrifyingly beautiful birds that came from heavens and had enormous wings.
If you want to know more about Islam, check this out!