Pakistani weddings are truly exciting. Those crazy wedding rituals, the decorations, the music, the dance, and, of course, the types of people that attend the wedding. It’s all an exciting package. A Pakistani wedding can never be boring. Period.
Here are some crazy types of people you run into at every wedding.
20. The sulking phuppos who always mind something or the other
No matter what you do, ‘inhain kuch na kuch bura lag hi jata hai’. You will find them sitting in the VIP corner with an angry expression, often murmuring things to themselves.
19. The toddlers who keep running up and down the stage and always want to sit beside the bride
These children will photo bomb all the wedding pictures, and they will be right there on the stage, running up and down and crying when they fall down.
18. The cousin who keeps cracking crude jokes that are more awkward than funny
Often the annoying first cousin who is known in the khandaan for their annoying jokes.
17. The aunties who just can’t get enough of their gossip
You will find many groups of aunties like these who come to gossip only. They know everything about everyone.
16. The bride’s father who has an expression that says “ab kub khatam hoga?” and “itna kharcha hogaya”
He can be recognized from his sleepy and tired expression.
15. The guy no one invited
The guy no one knows, but nobody dares to ask him who invited him because he might turn out to be from the other side.
14. The grandma who doesn’t go out much but is now in full form
The grandma is probably suffering from joint pains and doesn’t go out very often. But she is in full form today.
13. The ‘bachay’ who dances on item numbers
These children are dressed accordingly and have been prepared well to dance on item numbers.
12. The ‘college ke friends’ who are just here for some ‘naach gaana’ and ‘halla gulla’
These are the friends who just want a little fun in life. Most often, they only attend the mehndi for naach gaana.
11. The foodies who can never leave ‘shaadi ka muft ka khana’
These are the people who are in love with food and will have their eyes locked on food. They will try everything that is on the menu.
10. The critics who analyze all the wedding details and comment on everything
These are the people who will keep commenting on all the wedding details. And most of the time, their comments are just negative.
9. That person with the DSLR who roams around the venue with the camera hanging around his neck practicing his photography skills
The person who recently bought a new camera and wants to boast about it. You will find them near the stage playing with the camera but mostly taking selfies.
8. That hot guy that turns out to be the friend of the groom
Every wedding has that one hot guy who becomes the talk of the ladies for many months to come.
7. That girl who is not the bride but still dressed like one
This girl probably got married recently and thought her expensive wedding dress was going to waste. So she donned on that dress and decided to be a bride once again.
6. That cousin who just got married recently and being ‘more experienced’ shares her experiences with the couple
This cousin is seen at the stage often whispering things to the bride or the groom.
5. The bride’s or the groom’s sister who is next in line and who makes sure everyone notices her
There is no way you are not going to notice and figure out who the sister is. If you don’t notice it already, one of the aunties will introduce you, for sure.
4. The aunties who are looking for a rishta for their sons and daughters and eyeing all eligible partners
Of course. No Pakistani wedding can be complete without those rishta hunters.
3. The guy who keeps coming in the ladies section in a segregated wedding
This is the guy who likes the ladies section better than the men’s.
2. The couple’s parents who keep saying “khana khayay ga” to everyone they meet
You will meet the parents at the entrance or roaming around the venue, telling everyone to eat.
1. The lost and disinterested person who is probably forced to attend the wedding by family members
This person was probably pressurized by family members to attend the tedious wedding. You will find them sitting in a corner, rolling their eyes every now and then, with a lost expression and often playing and texting on their phone. And unfortunately, that happens to be me. 🙂
What role do you play when attending a wedding in Pakistan?