If you are the eldest sibling, you know what it was like when growing up. There were downsides as well as upsides.
Here are some things only eldest siblings will understand.
1. When you were born, your parents decided to experiment different parenting techniques on you. Hence, you were the tester child that had to bear strict parenting rules.
2. But being the first one, you were also a bit more special and your parents were more concerned about your well being than theirs.
3. While you were abiding with a strict curfew rule, your sibling got away with all the sh*t you were NEVER allowed to do.
4. Being the eldest meant you got everything brand new and your sibling got everything second hand.
5. However, it wasn’t so cool when your brand new stuff was smashed to pieces and there was no justice given to you. EVER.
6. Or when your sister played with your makeup and messed it all up…
7. Whenever things got messy, it was always your fault because “you were older and you should have known better”.
8. And whenever you got into trouble, it was magnified by tenfold because “you are a role model and you should set an example for the younger ones.” This happened even when you were 8 years old.
9. By the time your sibling reaches the age where they could do house chores, they managed to dodge them quite easily.
10. You always thought your younger sibling looks more charming than you and you were slightly jealous of them
11. You could never keep any secrets because that little chatterbox would go running to your mom and spit it all out
12. The best thing about being the eldest sibling was when you fooled them with stupid tales and made them believe they were true. It was a revenge for all the injustice that happened to you.
13. You were always the cheap babysitting alternative and were always expected to look after your younger sibling
14. Even when you grew up, you still had to watch cartoons that were too childish for you for a very long time…
15. You hated it when they hung out with your friends and followed you everywhere you went. Of course, it didn’t work the other way round.
But in the end, you loved being the eldest sister or brother. You loved being bossy at times and just being cooler and smarter than your younger sibling. And you loved protecting them too…