Life for a desi girl isn’t so simple and sweet. Rather it’s sweet and sour, and so much spicier.
Here are some struggles a Desi Pakistani girl can relate to.
1. Body hair and facial hair is a huge problem and we go to war with them every month.
2. Applying make-up is a huge struggle because it takes a lot of skills to get it right on brown skin.
3. Talking of brown skin, the goal of our life is to look like a ‘gora’. So while white girls try to tan, we try to stay as pale as possible.
4. Your long luscious locks are a tool of prestige for the entire family, which means they will disown you if you ever have a BOB CUT
5. Wearing western clothes is every Desi Girl’s DREAM that mostly never comes true but when it does it’s when we are far, far away where no auntie-jie can see us
6. And skinny jeans are, of course, the dress code for the beach.
7. You know the number one rule of using Facebook: Keep your family on limited profile.
8. Boys? They are the ‘ones that should not be named’. No, there is no way you can talk to them and be friends with them.
9. And if you ever get caught talking to them, it’s like the Day of Judgment for you.
10. The hardest question of your life is when your younger brother or cousins ask you “have you prayed” during “that time of the month”
11. No matter how old you get, you always have to give a detailed itinerary to your parents about where you are going and with whom…
12. And you even have to take along your younger siblings unless you protest very hard.
13. After your 18th birthday, every wedding you are invited to becomes a coming out party for you.
14. And while you may be given an option to say ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ to a marriage proposal, staying single is not one of those.
15. And of course, the kind of rishtas you get are nothing even remotely close to the person you have idealized after watching Yash Raj films throughout your childhood.
But at the end of the day, you know there is nothing better than being desi…