Those lovely donkeys. Those rules that are meant to be broken. And that apna pan.
Here are some things we all miss about Pakistan when we go abroad.
1. You get confused whether you should hang your Chuddi banyan in the balcony to dry or will you be fined for it.
Go for it. Where else will you dry them?
2. Whenever you meet any woman or a man, you resist the urge to call them “aunty” or “uncle”
3. You might have gotten tired of eating the same saalan over and over again but when you go abroad, you are like…
4. You loved driving in Pakistan but now you feel like that seat belt is going to strangle you.
5. You can no longer go on the wrong side of the road to avoid looking for the next cut to take a U turn… *sigh*
6. When you get a ticket worth a ‘fortune’ you instantly miss the “tullay” and their “chai pani”
7. Whenever there is a queue, you so want to push everyone off your way and get in the front. But…
8. You get confused when you are invited somewhere. Are you supposed to reach 2 hours late or on time?
9. You feel like it’s torture when you have to wash the dishes and do the laundry.
What the hell? Where is the Maasi?
10. You secretly pray for “halaat kharab” and “hartaal” so you can stay at home from work
Very little chance of that. Isiliay bhaagay thay na Pakistan se?
11. You ask for “surf” at the grocery store when you go to buy detergent
12. You can no longer kick off a conversation with…
13. Driving on the roads becomes so boring – where are the bridal trucks, the rickshaws with their hilarious bumper stickers, the advertisements of Amil Baba AND the donkeys???
You will miss your dear donkeys. 🙁
14. You hated that bumpy ride of the Rickshaw back at home but God, was it cheap!
15. You resist the urge to say “bhai kuch kam karo na” every time you go to buy something at the store.
What other things do you think you would miss if you ever go abroad? Of course, there is your family, traditions, culture and so much more.