The 1960s was a decade where Pakistan let the world know that they are here, and they meant to stay. The Pakistani Hockey team became a contender in the world winning a gold and silver medal at both Olympics. An incredible feat for a newly made country that had very little in the means to help train their athletes.
It was the decade where they launched their first weather rocket. With all these amazing accomplishments, Pakistan was still under pressure, the 1960s was also the decade that started in martial law and then ended in martial law.
Even then Pakistan was out to become a contender in the world, and it wanted to make its mark and so did it’s people.
1. Islamabad was declared the new capital of Pakistan – 1960
2. Foundation stone was laid for Minar-e-Pakistan -1960
3. Construction of the Mausoleum of M.A. Jinnah is started – 1960
4. Pakistan Hockey Team wins first Gold Olympic Medal against India
5. SUPARCO launches first weather rocket, Rehbar-I from Sonmiani – 1962
6. Fatimah Jinnah stands for elections – 1965
7. Inauguration of Pakistan Television Station
8. Pakistan Hockey Team wins silver medal at Tokyo Olympics
9. India-Pakistan 2nd over Kashmir – Known as the war of 1965
10. General Yahya Khan became the new Commander in Chief – 1966
11. Fatima Jinnah – Mother of the Nation dies – July 9, 1967
12. Student Protests of 1968 – lead to the resignation of General Ayub Khan
A decade of achievement for a country that was trying to make its mark in the world. The 1960s were a turning point in the history of Pakistan. Unfortunately, the decade ended once again in martial law. The 1970 was a whole new ball game for Pakistan, stick around and see what the 1970s were like in Pakistan.