If someone ever asked me the number one benefit of living in Pakistan, I would say it’s the luxury to have a maid to do all the house chores. This is the first thing Pakistan does to you if you move here from abroad – it makes you lazy as hell! While women in other countries would do their laundry, dishes, and mopping all by themselves, we Pakistani women cannot even imagine a life without a Maasi.
A Maasi is like air for a Pakistani woman. We breathe Maasi and we live Maasi. Life would be incomplete without a Maasi.
Still, there are some annoying moments that happen when you have a Maasi in your house.
1. When you move to a new house, your top concern is of course getting a Maasi. Everything else comes after that.
2. And whenever there is a strike or an unexpected holiday, you panic because it means the Angel of Work won’t come
3. You wake up every moment waiting for the doorbell to ring but, if the phone rings instead of the doorbell, you know what to expect.
4. And you absolutely hate it when the Maasi doesn’t show up at all and doesn’t even call the whole day to give an excuse
5. Even more annoying is when the Maasi calls and gives an excuse like “shaadi mai jana hai”
6. Or “chalisvaan hai aj”
7. Its super annoying when you explain her all the house work and she keeps nodding her head but actually doesn’t understand anything you say
8. Being a Desi household, your life mission is to make sure your surf and soap lasts at least 1 month but, your Maasi on the other hand thinks you have a hidden factory somewhere
9. You grapple with water shortage problem like everyone else in the country but, your Maasi thinks there is a magical spring that is erupting out of the taps in your home.
10. Your increasing electricity bills give you depression but your Maasi thinks it’s all free… No need to close the fan!
11. And you just don’t know how to make your Maasi understand how miserable you feel when it’s the end of the month and she asks you for money.
12. And when you hear one more glass breaking, you know its not evil eye but just Maasi working.
Have you faced these annoying moments with your Maasi? Yes? Just make sure your Maasi doesn’t know you are bi*ching about her because if she leaves your work, you will be devastated.
Accept it Pakistanis: We are nothing without our MAIDS! These ‘Maasi’ Problems are worth EVERY MOMENT for what they do for us.