Muslims have become a target of constant villainization by the mainstream media. From cyber bullying to bizarre airport security measures, Muslims have been struggling against the stereotypes for a long time now.
Let’s debunk some of the misconceptions the world has about Muslims and Islam.
1. All Muslims are Arabs.
Umm, no. Muslims can be Indonesian, Pakistani, Indian, Turkish, Chinese, American, Russian, French and British.
2. In Islam, women have no rights. They are forced into marriages, wearing burqas and living like cattle.
From marriages and inheritance to education and lifestyle, Islam gave women their rights which they didn’t have in pre-Islamic era.
3. Muslims don’t want to be educated.
The very first word revealed in Quran is ‘Iqra’ which means read. Enough said.
4. Muslims practice child marriages, and children have no rights in Islam.
Don’t confuse poor cultural traditions with the teachings of Islam.
5. All Muslim men have to marry four wives.
Polygamy is neither mandatory nor it is encouraged.
6. Muslims starve themselves for a whole month every year.
Muslims fast for a month in which they only abstain from eating and drinking during the daylight.
7. Muslims hate Jesus.
Muslims respect and believe in every prophet.
8. Muslims are backward and don’t care about culture and the arts.
Muslims were the first ones to study and explore medicine, mathematics, physics, astronomy, geography, architecture, art, and literature.
9. Islam was spread by the sword.
In Islam, there is no compulsion. You can’t ‘enforce’ your beliefs on anyone.
It is easy to assume things without the correct knowledge. Islam is a religion of peace.