At a height of 15,397 ft. above sea level, the Karakoram Highway (KKH) is the highest paved international road. It is also considered as the 8th wonder of the world. The highway connects Pakistan’s Gilgit-Baltistan region to China’s Xinjiang region which is why it has also been nicknamed the ‘Friendship Highway’ in China.
The construction of the highway began in 1959 and was completed in 1979. It was opened to the public in 1986. Many Chinese and Pakistani workers lost their lives to the construction of this monument of a highway that people come to view. The beauty of the nature that can be seen from the highway and how the mountains were cut to reach such a height are beyond belief.
Here are a few pictures to show the beauty of this amazing highway.
1. Starting point in the South – KKH
2. Karakoram Highway Bridge – Amazing engineering
3. Karakoram Highway in the Autumn
4. U-shaped tunnel cut into the mountain
5. Ancient rock carvings visible along KKH
6. Karakoram Highway Tunnels
7. Landslide on KKH – Just look at how steep the angle of the road is!
8. View of the Karakoram Highway
9. Karakoram Highway passing through Gojal
10. Dangerous yet scenic bus route
11. Karakoram Highway
12. Heights of Karakoram Highway
13. Beauty of Karakoram Highway
14. Dangerous tunnel cut into the side of the mountain – There’s barely enough room for a car
15. Close up view of the tunnel – tight sqeeze
16. Reconstructed Youyi bridge on KKH
17. Chinese Gate
Don’t you think its time to take a road trip along the 8th wonder of the world and see for yourself the beauty it has to offer?